MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2007) III

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ⅲ.Questions and Answers (24 points in all, 6 for each)
Give brief answers to each of the following questions in English .Write your answers in the corresponding space on the answer sheet.

45.William Shakespeare is one of the most remarkable playwrights the world has ever known.
(1)Name his four greatest tragedies.

Shakespeare''s four greatest tragedies are: Hamlet, Othello, King Lear,and Macbeth.

(2)What are the characteristics of the four tragedies in common?

Each portrays some noble hero, who faces the injustice of human life and is caught in a difficult situation and whose fate is closely connected with the fate of the whole nation.

(3)Briefly summarize each hero’s weakness of nature.

Each hero has his weakness of nature: Hamlet, the melancholic scholar-prince, faces the dilemma between action and mind; Othello's inner weakness is made use of by the outside evil force; the old king Lear who is unwilling to totally give up his power; and Macbeth's lust for power stirs up his ambition and leads him to incessant crimes.

46.“Though his fair daughter’s self, as I avowed
At starting, is my object. Nay, we’ll go
Together down, sir. Notice Neptune, though,
Taming a sea horse, though a rarity,
Which Claus of Innsbruck cast in bronze for me! ”

The lines above are taken from Robert Browning’s “My Last Duchess.” Taking the whole poem into consideration, what kind of person do you think the duke is?

A. His apparent intelligence, excellent taste for art superiority and aristocratic manners are paradoxical
with his pride,jealousy and brutality.

47.What is generally the view Washington Irving expressed in his “Rip Van Winkle” about the radical changes that happened to the American society in his time?

Living laments the radical changes in his time, thinking that the changes have taken away some of the most endeared values in American life.

48.What is the most famous theme in Henry James’s fiction? And what is his favourite approach in characterization, which makes him different from Mark Twain and W.D. Howells as realists? Give two titles of his works in which this theme and this approach are employed.

A. His most famous theme is international theme.
B. Psychological approach.
C. The Portrait of A Lady; Daisy Miller.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum