MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2011) I

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I. Multiple Choice(40 points in all, 1 for each)
Select from the four choices of each item the one that best answers the question or completes the statement. Write the corresponding letter A, B, C or D on the answer sheet.

1. One of Shelley’ s greatest political lyrics is ___D_____, which was later to become a rallying song of the British Communist Party.
A. “Ode to Liberty”   B. “Ode to Naples”
C. “Sonnet: England in 1819”   D. “Men of England”

2. In Charles Dickens’ work ___B_____, the Utilitarian principle rules over the English education system and destroys young hearts and minds.
A. Little Dorrit   B. Hard Times
C. Great Expectations   D. Bleak House

3. The tragic sense turns into despair in Thomas Hardy’s ____D____, where cornered by the traditional social morality, the hero and the heroine have to kill their own will and passion and return to their former destructive way of life.
A. The Return of the Native   B. The Mayor of Casterbridge
C. Tess of the D’ Urbervilles   D. Jude the Obscure

4. The typical representatives of G. B. Shaw’ s early plays are ____B____.
A. Man and Superman; The Apple Cart
B. Widowers’ House; Mrs. Warren’ s Profession
C. Candida; Mrs. Warren’ s Profession
D. The Apple Cart; Widowers’ House

5. As a critic of music and drama, ___C_____ held that art should serve social purposes by reflecting human life,revealing social contradictions and educating the common people.
A. T. S. Eliot   B. Oscar Wilde
C. George Bernard Shaw   D.W. B. Yeats

6. Symbolism and complex narrative are employed more richly in D. H. Lawrence’s ___B_____, which are generally regarded as his masterpieces.
A. Women in Love; Sons and Lovers
B. The Rainbow; Women in Love
C. Sons and Lovers; Lady Chatterley’s Lover
D. Lady Chatterley’ s Lover; The Rainbow

7. T. S. Eliot won the Nobel Prize of Literature in ___B_____.
A. 1945   B. 1948
C. 1952   D. 1956

8. Thomas Hardy’s pessimistic view of life predominates most of his later works and earns him a reputation as a___B_____ writer.
A. realistic   B. naturalistic
C. romantic   D. stylistic

9. “Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? ... And if God had gifted me with some beauty, and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. ” The quoted lines are most probably taken from ____C____.
A. Great Expectations   B. Wuthering Heights
C. Jane Eyre   D. Pride and Prejudice

10. The most distinguishing feature of Charles Dickens’ works is ___C_____.
A. the vernacular and large vocabulary   B. his humor and wit
C. character-portrayal   D. pictures of pathos

11. G. B. Shaw’ s play ___D_____ established his position as the leading playwright of his time.
A. Widowers’ Houses   B. Too True to Be Good
C. Mrs. Warren’ s Profession   D. Candida

12. Jane Austen’ s first novel ____A____ tells a story about two sisters and their love affairs.
A. Sense and Sensibility   B. Pride and Prejudice
C. Northanger Abbey   D. Mansfield Park

13. “If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?” the quoted line comes from ____A____.
A. Shelley’s “Ode to the West Wind”   B. Walt Whitman’ s Leaves of Grass
C. John Milton’s Paradise Lost   D. John Keats’“ Ode on a Grecian Urn”

14. All of the following poems by William Wordsworth are masterpieces on nature EXCEPT
___D_____.
A. “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud”   B. “An Evening Walk”
C. “Tinter Abbey”   D. “The Solitary Reaper”

15. William Blake’s ___C_____ marks his entry into maturity.
A. Poetical Sketches   B. Songs of Innocence
C. Marriage of Heaven and Hell  D. Songs of Experience

16. Henry Fielding’ s ___B_____ brings him the name of “Prose Homer”.
A. The History of Jonathan Wild the Great
B. The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
C. The History of Amelia
D. The History of Joseph Andrews

17. Among the three major poetical works by John Milton, ___A_____ is the most perfect example of verse drama after the Greek style in English.
A. Samson Agonistes   B. Paradise Lost
C. Paradise Regained   D. Areopagitica

18. T.S. Eliot’ s ___B_____ not only presents a panorama of physical disorder and spiritual desolation in the modern Western world, but also reflects the prevalent mood of disillusionment and despair of a whole post- war generation.
A. The Hollow Men   B. The Waste Land
C. Murder in the Cathedral   D. Ash Wednesday

19. In ___C_____, Shakespeare has not only made a profound analysis of the social crisis in  which the evils can be seen everywhere, but also criticized the bourgeois egoism.
A. Hamlet   B. Othello
C. King Lear   D. Macbeth

20. John Milton’s greatest poetical work ___B_____ is the only generally acknowledged epic in English literature since Beowulf.
A. Areopagitica   B. Paradise Lost
C. Lycidas   D. Samson Agonistes

21. The work __A______ by William Blake is a lovely volume of poems, presenting a happy world, though not without its evils and sufferings.
A. Songs of Innocence   B. Songs of Experience
C. Poetical Sketches   D. Lyrical Ballads

22. The plays known as “the Lawrence trilogy” are all the following EXCEPT ____B____.
A. A Collier’ s Friday Night   B. Lady Chatterley’ s Lover
C. The Daughter - in - Law   D. The Widowing of Mrs. Holroyed

23. Greatly and permanently affected by the ___C_____ experiences, Hemingway formed his own writing style, together with his theme and hero.
A. mining   B. farming
C. war   D. sailing

24. “The dignity of movement of an iceberg is due to only one -eighth of it being above water. ” This “iceberg” analogy about prose style was put forward by ___C_____.
A. William Faulkner   B. Henry James
C. Ernest Hemingway   D. F·Scott Fitzgerald

25. In Go Down, Moses, ___A_____ illuminates the problem of black and white in Southern society as a close- knit destiny of blood brotherhood.
A. William Faulkner   B. Jack London
C. Herman Melville   D. Nathaniel Hawthorne

26. In Death in the Afternoon ____C____ presents his philosophy about life and death through the depiction of the bullfight as a kind of microcosmic tragedy.
A. William Faulkner   B. Jack London
C. Ernest Hemingway   D. Mark Twain

27. William Faulkner once said that ____B____ is a story of “lost innocence,” which proves itself to be an intensification of the theme of imprisonment in the past.
A. The Great Gatsby   B. The Sound and the Fury
C. Absalom, Absalom!   D. Go Down, Moses

28. Walt Whitman believed, by means of “___A_____,” he has turned poetry into an open field, an area of vital possibility where the reader can allow his own imagination to play.
A. free verse   B. strict verse
C. regular rhyming   D. standardized rhyming

29. Herman Melville’s second famous work, ___D_____, was not published until 1924, 33 years after his death.
A. Pierre   B. Redburn
C. Moby-Dick   D. Billy Budd

30. In 1920, ___A_____ published his first novel This Side of Paradise which was, to some extent, his own story.
A. F·Scott Fitzgerald   B. Ernest Hemingway
C. William Faulkner   D. Emily Dickinson

31. Unlike his contemporaries in the early 20th century, ___B_____ did not break up with the poetic tradition nor made any experiment on form.
A. Walt Whitman   B. Robert Frost
C. Ezra Pound   D.T. S. Eliot

32. While Mark Twain seemed to have paid more attention to the “life” of the Americans, __B______ had apparently laid a greater emphasis on the “inner world” of man.
A. William Howells   B. Henry James
C. Bret Harte   D. Hamlin Garland

33. At the age of eighty -seven, ___A_____ read his poetry at the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy in 1961.
A. Robert Frost   B. Walt Whitman
C. Ezra Pound   D.T. S. Eliot

34. Of all Herman Melville’s sea adventure stories, ____C____ proves to be the best.
A. Typee   B. Redburn
C. Moby – Dick  D. Omoo

35. Man is a “victim of forces over which he has no control. ” This is a notion held strongly by ___B_____.
A. Robert Frost   B. Theodore Dreiser
C. Henry James   D. Hamlin Garland

36. With the publication of ____A____, Theodore Dreiser was launching himself upon a long career that would ultimately make him one of the most significant American writers of the school later known as literary naturalism.
A. Sister Carrie   B. The Titan
C. An American Tragedy   D. The Stoic

37. Nathaniel Hawthorne was affected by __C______’s transcendentalist theory and struck up a very intimate relationship with him.
A. H. W. Longfellow   B. Walt Whitman
C. R. W. Emerson   D. Washington Irving

38. Among the following writers ___D_____ is generally regarded as the forerunner of the  20th -century “stream- of - consciousness” novels and the founder of psychological realism.
A. T. S. Eliot   B. James Joyce
C. William Faulkner   D. Henry James

39. Walt Whitman wrote down a great many poems to air his sorrow for the death of President __B____, and one of the famous is “When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom’ d. ”
A. Washington   B. Lincoln
C. Franklin   D. Kennedy

40. The Marble Faun by Nathaniel Hawthorne, a romance set in___D___, is concerned about the dark aberrations of the human spirit.
A. France   B. Spain
C. England   D. Italy

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum