MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2001) I

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ⅰ.Multiple Choice (40 points in all, 1 for each)
Select from the four choices [A],,[C],[D] of each item the one that best answers the question or completes the statement and write the letter on the answer sheet.

1. The work that presented , for the first time in English literature, a comprehensive realistic picture of the medieval English society and created a whole gallery of vivid characters from all walks of life is most likely__ B ____.
A. William Langland’s Piers Plowman
B. Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales
C. John Gower’s Confessio Amantis
D. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

2. The tragedy of Dr.Faustus, the protagonist in Christopher Marlowe’s The Tragic History of Dr.Faustus, is the very face that__ A ___.
A. man is confined to time
B. he tried to join Africa to Spain
C. he became a man without soul after he sold it
D. he conjured up Helen, the lady who was the very course of the Trojan War

3. Here are two lines from a long poem: "Upon a great adventure he was bond, That greatest Gloriana to him gave." The poem must be__ D ___.
A. Beowulf
B. John Milton’s Samson Agonistes
C. Thomas Gray’s Elegy Written in a County Churchyard
D. Edmund Spenser’s The Faerie Queene

4. Literature of Neoclassicism is different from that of Romanticism in that __ A ____.
A .the former celebrates reason, rationality , order and instruction while the latter sees literature as an expression of an individual’s feeling and experiences
B. the former is heavily religious but the latter secular
C. the former is an intellectual movement the purpose of which is to arouse the middle class for political rights while the latter is concerned with the personal cultivation.
D. the former advocates the "return to nature" whereas the latter turns to the ancient Greek and Roman writers for its models

5. When he writes, in An Essay on Criticism, "A vile conceit in pompous words expressed, / Is like a clown in regal purple dressed", Alexander Pope means that ____ D ______.
A. pompous words are always destructive to good taste
B. the purple colour is for the royal only and it is ridiculous to dress a clown in purple
C. conceits are always misleading
D. true wit is best in a plain style
6. You may have meet the term "Yahoo" on internet, but you may also have met it in English literature .It is found in _ C ____
A. John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress
B. Samuel Johnson’s The Vanity of Human Wishes
C. Jonathan Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels
D. Henry Fielding’s tom Jones

7. "The shepherd in Virgil grew at last acquainted with Love, and found him a native of the rocks."(Samuel Johnson, "To the Right Honorable the Earl of Chesterfield")The speaker here is __ B ____.
A. cheerful
B. ironic
C. mysterious
D. nonchalant

8. "Surface", "Sneerwell", "Backbite", and "Candour" are most likely the names of the characters in ___ B _____.
A. Shaw’s Mrs Warren’s Profession
B. Sheridan’s The School for Scandal
C. Shakespeare’s Love’s Labour’s Lost
D. Christopher Marlowe’s Dr.Faustus

9. The first line of William Blake’s well-known poem "The Tyger" reads, "Tyger! Tyger! Burning bright". The repeated word "tiger" (tiger) with an exclamation mark suggests___ B ____.
A. joy
B. fear
C. pain
D. fondness

10. What does Wordsworth’s poem "The Solitary Reaper" tell us about Romanticist? ____A_____
A. To romanticists, poetry is an expression of an individual’s feelings and experiences no matter how fragmentary and momentary these feelings and experiences are.
B. Romanticist take delight only in sound effect, the theme of a work is not their concern.
C. Romanticist are not patient people; they would leave before the revelation of the theme.
D. Poetry should present the apparent and tangible.

11. The lines, "It was a miracle of rare device,/ A sunny pleasure dome with caves of ice," are found in ____ A ______.
A. Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s "Kubla Khan"
B. William Wordsworth’s "Lines Written in Early Spring"
C. John Keats’s "Ode to Autumn"
D. Percy Bysshe Shelly’s "ode to the West Wind"

12. Prometheus Unbound is Shelley’s greatest achievement. Prometheus, according to the Greek mythology, was chained by Zeus on Mount Caucasus and suffered the vulture’s feeding on his liver for____ D _____.
A. planning a revolt to dethrone God
B. misinterpreting God’s decree to reconcile man and nature
C. prophesying the arrival of spring in a winter season
D. stealing the fire from heaven and giving it to man

13. " ’Damn the fool! There he is’, cried Heathcliff, sinking back into his seat. ’Hush, my darling! Hush, hush, Catherine! I’ll stay. If he shot me so, I’d expire with a blessing in my lips.’" The novel from which the passage is taken must be ___ D ______.
A. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice
B. Charles Dickens’s The Old Curiosity Shop
C. Samuel Richardson’s Pamela
D. Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights

14. "My Last Duchess" is a poem that best exemplified Robert Browning’s ___ D _____.
A. sensitive ear for the sounds of the English language
B. excellent choice of words
C. mastering of the metrical devices
D. use of the dramatic monologue

15. Here is a passage from Middlemarch, a novel by George Eliot: "Her blooming full-pulsed youth stood there in a moral imprisonment which made itself one with the chill, colourless, narrowed landscape, with the shrunken furniture, the never-read books, and the ghostly stag in pale fanatic world that seemed to be vanishing from the daylight," Who is the lady mentioned in the quoted passage? ___ A ___.
A. Dorothea
B. Emma
C. Molly
D. Irene

16. Tess of the D’Urbervilles, one of Thomas Hardy’s best known novels, portrays man as ___ C _____.
A. being hereditarily either good or bad
B. being self-sufficient
C. having no control over his own fate
D. still retaining his own faith in a world of confusion

17. Which of the following brings LITTLE impact on the development of 20th century literature? ____ C ______.
A. Friedrich Nietzche’s assertions: "God is dead"
B. Arther Schopenharuer’s and Henry Bergson’s philosophical ideas of irrationality.
C. Oscar Wilde’s idea of "Art for Art’s Sake".
D. Freudian-Jungian psycho-analysis

18. The term tone in literature means____ C ______.
A. sound effect such as rhyme and metrical device
B. the pitch of a word used to determine its meaning in the given context
C. the manner of expression to indicate the speaker’s attitude towards the subject
D. a shade of colour to reflect the change of the light

19. Which of the following best describes the speaker of T.S.Eliot’s " The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock"? ___ D_____.
A. He is an man of a action.
B. He is a man of apathy.
C. He is a man of passion.
D. He is a man of inactivity

20. In which of the following poems by William Butler Yeats did you find the allusion to Helen and the Trojan War? ___ B ______.
A. "Sailing to Byzantium"
B. " Leda and the Swan"
C. "The Lake Isle if Innisfree".
D. " Sown by the Sally Garden"

21. "He was afraid of her -the small, severe woman with greying hair suddenly bursting out in such frenzy. The postman came running back, afraid something had happened. /they saw his tripped cap over the short curtains. Mrs Morel rushes to the door." The above passage taken from ____ C _____.
A. Charlotte Bronte’s The Professor
B. Charles Dickens’s Domebey and Son
C. D.H.Lawrence ’s Sons and Lovers
D. John Galsworthy’s The Forsyte Saga

22. James Joyce is the author of all the following novels except ___ B ___.
A. Dubliners
B. Jude the Obscure
C. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
D. Ulysses

23. Which of the following works concerns most concentrated the Calvinistic view of original sin? ___ B ____.
A. The Wasteland.
B. The Scarlet Letter.
C. Leaves of Grass.
D. As I Lay Dying

24. We can perhaps summarize that Walt Whitman’s poems are characterized by all the following features except that they are ___ B ___.
A. conversational and crude
B. lyrical and well-structured
C. wimple and rather crude
D. free-flowing

25. Who exerts the single most important influence on literary naturalism, of which Theodore Dreiser and Jack London are among the best representative writers? __ B __.
A. Freud
B. Darwin.
C. W. D. Howells.
D. Emerson

26. Mark Twain, one of the greatest 19th century American writers, is well known for his __ C __.
A. international theme
B. waste-land imagery
C. local color
D. symbolism

27. At the beginning of Faulkner’s A Rose For Emily, there is a detailed description of Emily’s old house. The purpose of such description is to imply that the person living in it __ C ____.
A. is a wealth lady
B. has good taste
C. is a prisoner of the past
D. is a conservative aristocrat

28. The period before the American Civil War is commonly referred to as __ A ___.
A. the Romantic Period
B. the Realistic Period
C. the Naturalist Period
D. the Modern Period

29. Most of Herman Melville’s novels are based on sea voyages and sea adventures. Which of the following is not the case? ___ D ____.
A. Typee.
B. Moby-Dick.
C. Omoo.
D. The Confidence-Man

30. In Henry James’ Daisy Miller, the author tries to portray the young woman as an embodiment of ___ B ____.
A. the force of convention
B. the free spirit of the New World
C. the decline of aristocracy
D. the corruption of the newly rich

31. "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both ..."
In the above two lines of Robert Frost’s The Road Not Taken, the poet, by implication, was referring to ___ D ____.
A. a travel experience
B. a marriage decision
C. a middle-age crisis
D. one’s course of life

32. The Transcendentalists believe that, first, nature is ennobling, and second, the individual is ___ C ____.
A. insignificant
B. vicious by nature
C. divine
D. forward-looking

33. Which of the following is not a work of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s? ___ D ____.
A. The House of the Seven Gables.
B. The Blithedale Romance.
C. The Marble Falun.
D. White Jacket.

34. In Heminway’s short story Indian Camp, through a story of a woman giving birth, the protagonist, Nick Adams, receives an education of ___ A ___.
A. birth and violent death
B. charity and benevolence
C. racial inequality
D. devotion and kinship

35. In Hawthorne’s novels and short stories, intellectuals usually appear as __ C _____.
A. commentators
B. observers
C. villains
D. saviors

36. Besides sketches, tales and essays, Washington Irving also published a book on ___ C ___, which is also considered an important part of his creative writing.
A. poetic theory
B. French art
C. history of New York
D. life of George Washington

37. In Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, there are detailed descriptions of big parties. The purpose of such descriptions is so show ___ A ___.
A. emptiness of life
B. the corruption of the upper class
C. contrast of the rich and the poor
D. the happy days of the Jazz Age

38. In American literature, escaping from the society and returning to nature is a common subject. The following titles are all related, in one way or another, to the subject except ___ B ____.
A. Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
B. Dreiser’s Sister Carrie
C. Copper’s Leather-Stocking Tales
D. Thoreau’s Walden

39. Which of the following novels can be regarded as typically belonging to the school of literary modernism? ___ A ____.
A. The Sound and the Fury
B. Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
C. Daisy Miller.
D. The Gilded Age.

40. Emily Dickinson wrote many short poems on various aspects of life. Which of the following is not a usual subject of her poetic expression? ___ D ___
A. Religion.
B. Life and death.
C. Love and marriage.
D. War and peace.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum